DMD 1.011 release

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 11 16:19:09 PDT 2007

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Charlie wrote:

> Serg Kovrov wrote:
> > freeagle wrote:
> > > what was wrong with "inout" ?
> >
> > Nothing. I hope 'inout' will stay "read-write reference" (&), and 'ref' will
> > become "read-only reference" (const &). Although 'in' seems better name for
> > it... But well, we'll see.
> >

> I second this , having one word to mean 'constant reference' would be far
> preferable to a 'const' qualifier, and leave inout to mean what its always
> meant.
>
> Charlie

A 'const' qualifier is coming.  D can't live much longer without it.  See
past threads on digitalmars.D on what it's goin to mean.  It will be
significantly better than c++'s 'put const everywhere and ignore the
shortcomings'.

You can agree or not about the exact terms used, but I can guarantee that
there will be people on every side of the debate.  Again, see the past
threads on this topic as mentioned above.

Later,
Brad