Tango 0.97 RC1 released

Aarti_pl aarti at interia.pl
Mon Apr 16 01:18:49 PDT 2007

Lars Ivar Igesund napisał(a):
> Dear D community
>
> This is the first release candidate release of Tango towards 1.0. This is
> mostly a bugfix release, plus some news in the packaging department. The
> most important changes are:
>
>  * bundling of DMD
>  * fixes for 64 bit use
>  * fixes for Mac OSX use
>  * daily snapshots
>  * executable installers also on Linux

Great that DMD can be redistributed with Tango. It looks like soon
problem of original, messy bundle for DMD will be resolved :-)

I just would like to propose to make few enhancement to current
directory structure of installation:

* First - do not assume that people will use only Tango, but no Phobos
at all.

Directory structure should allow to have installed Tango *AND* Phobos
simultaneously. I propose sth. like this:

|-bin
|-doc         (maybe like on linux: share/doc/tango ??)
|  |-tango
|  |-phobos
|  |-<other libraries>

|-example
|  |-tango
|  |-phobos
|  |-<other libraries>

|-import
|  |-tango
|  |-phobos
|  |-<other libraries>

|-lib
|  |-tango
|  |   |
|  |  <libs>
|  |
|  |-phobos
|  |   |
|  |  <libs>
|  |
|  <common libs>

README.txt

I know that Tango is replacement for Phobos, so you may think that it is
  unnecessary work to provide additional support for it. But I think it
will make Tango more popular allowing people to use easily both
libraries as necessary. Probably you could even consider to include
sources for Phobos in bundle (if Walter allows it).

* Second - dsss and rebuild should be bundled with Tango. Rdmd should be
merged to rebuild and removed from bundle then (I've put ticket for this
enhancement for rebuild).

* Third - there should be dmdc script (second one from Andrei, which
generates dmd.sc/dmd.conf for Tango or Phobos). This script could even
scan import directory for paths to other libraries and generate proper
script.

Thanks for addressing issues with uncomfortable installation of DMD and
libraries for D!

Best Regards
Marcin Kuszczak