Tango 0.97 RC1 released

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Mon Apr 16 07:34:21 PDT 2007

Aarti_pl wrote:

> Lars Ivar Igesund napisał(a):
>> Dear D community
>>
>> This is the first release candidate release of Tango towards 1.0. This is
>> mostly a bugfix release, plus some news in the packaging department. The
>> most important changes are:
>>
>>  * bundling of DMD
>>  * fixes for 64 bit use
>>  * fixes for Mac OSX use
>>  * daily snapshots
>>  * executable installers also on Linux
>>

> Great that DMD can be redistributed with Tango. It looks like soon
> problem of original, messy bundle for DMD will be resolved :-)
>
> I just would like to propose to make few enhancement to current
> directory structure of installation:
>
> * First - do not assume that people will use only Tango, but no Phobos
> at all.

I don't think we do, but I am sure there's still room for improvement.
Having imports for both should work out fine, having two
libphobos.a/phobos.lib around is worse (without changing configurations, or
actually having two installs).

> Directory structure should allow to have installed Tango *AND* Phobos
> simultaneously. I propose sth. like this:
>
> |-bin
> |-doc         (maybe like on linux: share/doc/tango ??)
> |  |-tango
> |  |-phobos
> |  |-<other libraries>

A better solution for the docs is definately something we want.

> |-example
> |  |-tango
> |  |-phobos
> |  |-<other libraries>
> |
> |-import
> |  |-tango
> |  |-phobos
> |  |-<other libraries>
> |
> |-lib
> |  |-tango
> |  |   |
> |  |  <libs>
> |  |
> |  |-phobos
> |  |   |
> |  |  <libs>
> |  |
> |  <common libs>
> |
> README.txt

We will certainly look at the above proposal for directory structure.

> I know that Tango is replacement for Phobos, so you may think that it is
>   unnecessary work to provide additional support for it. But I think it
> will make Tango more popular allowing people to use easily both
> libraries as necessary. Probably you could even consider to include
> sources for Phobos in bundle (if Walter allows it).

I am pretty sure redistribution of the source is no problem, but we do
consider it a problem to (officially) distribute something that we don't
mantain ourselves. Gregor's tangobos effort may very well be the easier
solution in most cases where one is in need of using both, and I expect
that one to be available via DSSS.

> * Second - dsss and rebuild should be bundled with Tango. Rdmd should be
> merged to rebuild and removed from bundle then (I've put ticket for this
> enhancement for rebuild).

We will most likely make such a bundle (there already is for GDC), but we
will still need packages not depending on it. We may also label it
unofficial, given that DSSS/Rebuild is no Tango project per se.

> * Third - there should be dmdc script (second one from Andrei, which
> generates dmd.sc/dmd.conf for Tango or Phobos). This script could even
> scan import directory for paths to other libraries and generate proper
> script.

Feel free to approach is with further suggestions on this.

> Thanks for addressing issues with uncomfortable installation of DMD and
> libraries for D!

We are trying - but as of yet we do not want to provide official
distributions for tools/libraries not part of Tango itself (the compilers
being notable exceptions).

We may set up a page for more unoffical distributions however, if they can
be easily mantained and updated. Typical problems with such setups though,
are related to tool and library updates outside the Tango release cycle,
which is why tools such as DSSS probably will become much more useful in
the long run.

Further we would like to provide improved support for the different package
distribution systems on Linux and other platforms, if someone would like to
help out with creating such packaging.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net