Tango 0.97 RC1 released

Justin C Calvarese technocrat7 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 15:43:58 PDT 2007

Gregor Richards wrote:
> Jeff wrote:
>> While I'm at it, I'll mention a pipe dream of mine, too: programs that
>> use both? If the libraries were adequately segmented, this could be
>> possible, no? :)
>
> I've created a compatibility layer, tangobos. It's mainly intended for
> porting (since porting incrementally is infinitely easier than porting
> in one blow), but I think it could also be useful for using Phobos
> libraries which you don't control in a Tango app, since it would be a
> bit silly to maintain a fork of an active app just because it doesn't
> use the right core library.
>
> It's a bit controversial though :P

I think Tangobos is an excellent idea. Tango appears to be a powerful
library, but I'm already used to Phobos. So it'd be nice to still be
able to fall back on some Phobos functions as I try to learn more about
Tango.

For example, I was trying to write a simple example using Tango, and I
quickly discovered that I was having a hard time figuring out how to do
anything. It's not than I think that Tango is inferior in any way to
Phobos, it's just that I've become accustomed to the "Phobos way". If I
want to replace one set of characters with another set of characters, I
knew that all I have to do is use the replace function in std.string.
When I tried to do a similar operation with Tango, I felt and
embarrassed at my ineptitude (I suspect it's a simple matter of using a
String object and using the right member function, but I couldn't get
anything to work).

I had similar problems when I was first trying to learn how Phobos works
(along with the additional problems of being new to D and D being such a
young language). For some reason, I thought those days were behind me,
but I forgot that every library is going to have it's own style. And
learning the style can take some time and effort.

> Tangobos doesn't have a home page yet, but stay tuned.

I'll be waiting.

--
jcc7