DMD 1.012 release

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Thu Apr 19 02:29:07 PDT 2007

Jari-Matti Mäkelä wrote:
> Jeff wrote:
>> For anyone interested: I just noticed that the most recent version of
>> Kate in the KDE subversion repos contains syntax highlighting for DMD
>> 1.011.
>>
>> Thanks to whoever made this happen. :)
>
> You're welcome :)
>
>> (Next stop, full support in KDevelop? :P)
>
> I can take a look at it this summer. It might be better targeting
> KDevelop 4.x since KDE4 will be released later this year. KDevelop 4.x
> will probably also be cross-platform.
>
> It's great to see people using K-stuff. I personally like Eclipse and
> the job Ary Manzana has done, but sometimes Eclipse is simply not good
> enough. IMO also Codeblocks feels unstable for production use ATM. It
> would be fabulous to make support for D in KDevelop as good as support
> for Java is in Eclipse.
>
> Here's a video that might tell why I can't stand Eclipse at times:
> (requires ogg theora codec)
>
> http://users.utu.fi/jmjmak/tmp/nopeampi.ogg
>
> It is not a joke, it's a realtime video capture made with a software
> called 'recordmydesktop'.
>
> I should mention that the workstation in the video is 2 GHz Athlon XP
> with 1 GB of RAM, RAID-0 disc (read speed ~90 MB/s), and about a month
> old clean install of Kubuntu Feisty (< 0.4% fragmentation). It is not
> trashing or doing anything else at all. Even playing it with 'mplayer
> -speed 100' feels much slower than KDevelop on a 200 MHz Pentium MMX.
> Luckily for us, D can do it soooo much better :-P

Does that happens all the time? If so, for that computer, I'd say it's
abnormally slow, even for Eclipse. Before my current computer I had a
1700 athlon XP, 1 Gb RAM, Windows XP and it wasn't nowhere as slow as
that, it was 15, 30 seconds tops for full loading.
If you are interested, I would recommend doing some troubleshooting,
trying a load in another computer to see if it is still as slow, and
maybe searching the eclipse website, trying some diferent java VM
parameters, checking if Eclipse isn't loading unnecessary plugins, etc..
My current computer is a 3500+ Athlon 64, 1Gb RAM, and Eclipse still
takes a while to load (10-15 seconds) but once inside I never note any
slowness (unless loading a new plugin, which only happens once per session).

--
Bruno Medeiros - MSc in CS/E student