Entice Designer 0.8.2 release

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Mon Apr 23 23:47:53 PDT 2007

Daniel Keep wrote:

> Saaa wrote:
>> Are even programmers against vista?
>> Is it because of the price? Or maybe you think it isn't necessary?
>> You must understand that the real features of vista which are interesting
>> can't be shown in general commercials, right?
>>
>> No that I'm a fan.. I don't even run it but I could get excited when I get
>> my new computer.
>>
>> http://manodesign.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!1pRsSVBaAuwgFSti-clSJ6Ng!362.entry
>> DirectX 10 , software sound approach
>>
>> I  am just interested in the why it is that bad that you think because of it
>> to switch?
>>

>> "Bill Baxter" <dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com> wrote in message
>> news:f0gv1a$2jtf$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> It looks like a very nice project, but I think the fact that it's
>>> Windows-only is the reason for lack of widespread adoption.  Heck I'm a
>>> Windows-only user but I won't touch Windows-only libraries.  I value my
>>> own freedom to switch platforms at will too much, especially these days
>>> with Vista breathing uncomfortably down my neck.   I also value the
>>> ability to share with friends who don't use Windows.  So I never really
>>> gave DFL a second look.
>>>
>>> --bb
>
> Warning: rant follows.
>
> I don't know about Bill, but I'm never going to be installing Vista for
> a lot of reasons.

I'm not nearly as opposed to Vista as you seem to be, but I will say I
run XP with the "Classic Theme" because I'm not really into glitzy title
bars sucking up all my resources and draining my battery life.

I don't know much about the DRM stuff in Vista, but all the buzz is that
it's terrible and going to eat your babies.  I don't know about that,
but it's pretty clear that at best it does *nothing* to make my
experience as a user better.

But the thing that really pissed me off about Vista was their
announcement early on that OpenGL was going to be a second class
citizen.  Apparently it's been fixed due to the *vehement* complaints
from users and vendors alike.  But that's the kind of crap Microsoft is
always trying to pull.  They were telling everyone "So sorry, but it's
technically impossible for OpenGL to work the way it does in XP.  Please
use DX10 from now on." Apparently it wasn't as impossible as they
claimed, and I'm still wary.

--bb