[OT] Vista,

Jari-Matti Mäkelä jmjmak at utu.fi.invalid
Tue Apr 24 07:06:43 PDT 2007

Saaa wrote:
> "Jari-Matti Mäkelä" <jmjmak at utu.fi.invalid> wrote in message
> news:f0klls$7e2$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Saaa wrote:

>>> You must understand that the real features of vista which are interesting
>>> can't be shown in general commercials, right?
>> No, but please don't think you can force people to think the same way as
>> you do.

> Is this about me or about microsoft?
> If this is about me: well in a discussion you hope to force, others to think
> like you or adapt to their better thoughts, by arguments.
> If its not directed to me: ignore that sentence :D

Both -- no, you were not. :) I just wanted to point out some people
think they can force others. I have strong opinions about free software,
yes. But you can freely ignore my posts, I just gave some food for
thought. I've used Linux exclusively for several years. Everything new
MS creates just causes me more work since none of that new is ever
compatible with other systems. I think that is a valid reason to dismiss it.

>> There are several reasons not to always use the newest version of
>> Windows. Maybe the biggest (from the developer POV) are compatibility
>> issues. People start to develop Vista-only apps with the new shiny dev
>> tools. Simply great, now everyone has to convert.

> This even happens in ubuntu: some apps are supported, the rest ake alot of
> effort to get to work.
> Somebody makes choises including develepors and as vista breaks
> compatibility with previous windows
> (like for fthe first time for real) this is going to happen yes. But most
> non-3d apps have the tag: (98)/2k/xp/vista

But in the open source world you are allowed to choose. Canonical isn't
deliberately forcing people to convert to Ubuntu 7.04. The newest
development tools they offer produce working binaries for old and other
distros as well.

>> Sure it has interesting 'features' like Aero (which is a bad joke
>> compared to Beryl), but you know, some people really don't appreciate
> You understand that aero was the one feature which is easy to market and
> thus not one the features I was talking about :D

Sure, but there are/could be also alternatives whose management is more
willing to co-operate with 3rd parties. I haven't checked, but I think
e.g. transactional ntfs and the semantic desktop project (not yet in
Vista I think) are one of those new features that are not possible to
implement in other OSes without reverse engineering. What about dx10
api? Again, there are cross platform alternatives.

>> quality of video clips on non-HDCP displays is max a x b pixels. Then it
> Only if you buy drm protected media, which I won't.

Well, why the heck should I pay for this then.

> It is mostly the lack of support by other apps that's holding me back. There
> is atm no good alternative for office, excel and Photoshop.
> I don't care whose fault this is, I need to use these apps and XP is for now
> my os.

You can run office, excel and photoshop without any problems on linux or
mac, try crossover. Wine is also getting there step by step.

> I also like the open source concept and by using windows I can use allot
> opensource programs.
> (next to the os itself and Photoshop and office everything is opensource)

They all work on older Windowses as well.