Entice Designer 0.8.2 release

Saaa empty at needmail.com
Tue Apr 24 11:19:00 PDT 2007

"Sean Kelly" <sean at f4.ca> wrote in message
news:f0l19u$qso$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Saaa wrote:
>> Are even programmers against vista?
>> Is it because of the price? Or maybe you think it isn't necessary?
>
> It isn't necessary.  The only notable feature over XP is DX10.  But
> performance is abysmal, partially because of immature drivers and
> partially (it seems) because of DRM enforcement (read reviews that discuss
> file copying across drives or across the network).  And I object to the
> DRM features on purely idealistic grounds.
>
>> You must understand that the real features of vista which are interesting
>> can't be shown in general commercials, right?
>
> Please name one.  I'll admit that as a programmer I like some of the new
> API features they've added, but at the same time, I can't use them because
> Vista is too new.
>

> Sean

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_and_safety_features_new_to_Windows_Vista
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Management_features_new_to_Windows_Vista

Compared with XP it is a lot safer and as I made clear before, I need a
windows system.
But as another post says it cripples file copying which really is an
argument for me not to upgrade.
Also, as long as the drivers are crap I wont.
The font which is made for readability on low dpi does interest me, together
with the upgraded hinting (see video)
I've never worked with Vista, I have with Ubuntu. Before using ubuntu I
thought I might be swayed and at least wanted to install it on my parents
computer, but I wasn't really satisfied with compatibility of software(which
isn't listed as ubuntu'safe'?) and the explorer was kinda not really
user-friendly for me :) (and then there is the drag drop which won't bring a
window to front when I have something hanging above it and the dead keys
(which I had to enable) which keeps on bleeping when I hit ' + t in "don't"
and last my videocard wasn't supported, my screen didn't want to go to
100Hz, and colour management is crap)
But then again I need Photoshop :D
I'm thinking about helping ubuntu thou, my first would be to let beryl show
system info on its background :)