Entice Designer 0.8.2 release

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Tue Apr 24 11:31:47 PDT 2007

Saaa wrote:
> "Sean Kelly" <sean at f4.ca> wrote in message
> news:f0l19u$qso$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Saaa wrote:
>>> Are even programmers against vista?
>>> Is it because of the price? Or maybe you think it isn't necessary?
>> It isn't necessary.  The only notable feature over XP is DX10.  But
>> performance is abysmal, partially because of immature drivers and
>> partially (it seems) because of DRM enforcement (read reviews that discuss
>> file copying across drives or across the network).  And I object to the
>> DRM features on purely idealistic grounds.
>>
>>> You must understand that the real features of vista which are interesting
>>> can't be shown in general commercials, right?
>> Please name one.  I'll admit that as a programmer I like some of the new
>> API features they've added, but at the same time, I can't use them because
>> Vista is too new.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_and_safety_features_new_to_Windows_Vista

I evaluated the code security features in .NET ages ago, and I'm pretty
sure these are the features Vista uses for all code.  It's a nice idea,
but the administrative features are incomprehensibly complex, and the
security features can actually be overridden at the code level.  In
short, I don't have any interest in this.  For the rest, I'd prefer just
using some firewall software, etc.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Management_features_new_to_Windows_Vista

I'm actually very encouraged (and surprised) that Vista bundles Interix
by default, since Microsoft dropped support for it a few years ago.
Perhaps this means it has gained new life and will get the attention it
needs.  However, Interix has always been available as a separate
download, so this isn't a reason to upgrade to Vista.  As for the rest,
I suppose it's useful for corporate installations, but I don't have any
use for group policies, etc, at home.

So some of these are good features in general, but they either aren't
features I care about or they are available for XP as well.  This is
actually a good thing, since I don't want to upgrade my OS anyway :-)

Sean