[OT] Vista (was: Entice Designer 0.8.2 release)

Mark Wrenn mark-nospam at binarytheory.com
Tue Apr 24 13:35:28 PDT 2007

I find this whole Vista vs XP thing interesting.

The truth is I don't think Vista has any really compelling features.  So
people (some? most?) aren't willing to go through the hardware upgrade
pain or the learning curve.  If Vista just had some really compelling
thing about it - like better paging, better performance, easier to use,
something - then people would upgrade.  The switch from Win98 to XP was
compelling.  XP was much better.

Reminds me of the D vs. C++ (your favorite language here) discussions.

None us want to upgrade / change unless there's something really
compelling about the change.  It's a given that we're all D fans here.
But the average guy...what does he think?

Mark

Saaa wrote:
> Are even programmers against vista?
> Is it because of the price? Or maybe you think it isn't necessary?
> You must understand that the real features of vista which are interesting
> can't be shown in general commercials, right?

<snip>