MiniD 1.0 released!

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 08:35:22 PDT 2007

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> After more than a year of brainstorming, writing, re-writing, taking ideas
> from other languages and generally having a good time, I've come to what I
> feel is a good place to call it 1.0.
>
> == What is MiniD? ==
>
> MiniD is a scripting language written entirely in D, designed around D's
> features and with D's semantics in mind.  It's based mainly off of Lua and
> Squirrel, with influences from D and JavaScript.

Is there any chance of support for optional strong typing? That's my
main beef with Javascript; the one time I've used it for a production
system, it took six hours to do something that would have been fifteen
minutes with strong typing (due to a single bug), and I never did
accomplish what I set out to do.

At least function arguments should be typed, or typeable, in an
object-oriented language. Lua doesn't need strong typing as much because
it only has primitives, functions, and tables. But MiniD is
object-oriented, and the only alternative to typing is reflection.[1]
Maybe some sort of 'where' clause?
function do_stuff(arg1, arg2) where arg2 : ExpectedClass {}

-cbw

[1] And that's rather ugly and long-winded:
if (!is (typeof(argument) == ExpectedClass))
    assert(false);