DSSS 0.69 released.

Gregor Richards Richards at codu.org
Mon Aug 6 07:02:15 PDT 2007

Mike Parker wrote:
> Gregor Richards wrote:
>

>> As of 0.69, I will no longer be delivering binaries of rebuild alone -
>> I have decided that doing so is backstabbing my own strategy. Instead,
>> I'm providing a "light" binary of DSSS with no net support on Windows,
>> where there are necessary prerequisite binaries for net support. It's
>> only 300K bigger than the binary release of rebuild.
>
> Awww! I really have no interest in DSSS or any sort of DSSS-lite. I
> think Rebuild rocks, though. Having the binary available for download
> has been a great convenience. I wish you'd reconsider!

I wrote rebuild as a utility for use by DSSS. That was its primary
purpose in existence. The fact that it can be useful in isolation is
irrelevant.

Statements like this annoy me to no end. I create this tool that
integrates and standardizes all sorts of things and makes the whole
situation of using 3rd party libraries infinitely easier with D, and
everybody goes, "Hey, look, it works with a build utility that works
well. Let's use that and not the tool itself. I have no interest because
I don't know what it does and I'm happy with copying all my libraries
into the same directory as the modules for my binary in a gigantic mess
of unmaintainable code. Oh, and including obnoxious and
platform-specific build scripts that use rebuild rather than DSSS, a
tool for making easy and cross-platform build scripts, is brilliant."

This puts me into a chicken-and-egg scenario. DSSS is most useful when
many available D libraries support it, but the developers for many of
the D libraries continue to maintain incompatible and difficult-to-use
build scripts (or, worse yet, encourage duplication), which degrades its
usefulness. When I started seeing build scripts that actually used
rebuild, that's when I decided I'm not going to distribute rebuild in
isolation.

I don't consider people who use rebuild in isolation to be valid
consumers of my code, and I'm not going to actively support that
configuration. Yes, it will still work (rebuild isn't going away any
time soon, it is indeed a necessary component of DSSS), but I'm not
actually going to create bundles which /encourage/ people to not use the
software that rebuild was built to support. Honestly, I have no idea why
I was ever doing that in the first place.

</rant>

  - Gregor Richards