DSSS 0.69 released.

Olli Aalto oaalto at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 23:58:52 PDT 2007

BCS wrote:
> Reply to Mike,
>
>> I understand what DSSS does, and for those who like it, fine. I just
>> personally don't. I'm obviously not the target audience. I do prefer
>> to manage the libraries I use myself. I keep them all in a nice, neat,
>> global import directory. I can build with DMD, Tango, Rebuild, Bud, or
>> GDC (if I set it up) without needing to muck about with any
>> configuration files. It's a simple system and isn't broken for me, so
>> I get no benefit from DSSS.
>>

> I use bud, but we see to think a lot alike.
>
> At this point dsss isn't for me, but it looks like a great starting poit
> for a tool I /would/ use.
> I've already posted my feature request list, what would dsss have to
> offer for you to want to use it? (anyone else chime in as well)

Well it already does everything I need, and probably more. I think that
dsss is *the* tool for building D applications/libraries at the moment.

Whenever there is a new version of it, all I have to do is to download
it, unpack, run couple 'dsss net install' commands to install the needed
derelict packages and I'm set. Pretty much all my coding time goes to
doing the nehe tutorials, so for those I've set myself up so that I have
one dsss build script for all of the tutorials. I can do 'dsss build'
and it builds all of them, or 'dsss build lesson01/lesson01.d' and it
builds only that lesson. At the moment I don't need anything else. When
adding a new lesson I'll just add two lines to the dsss.conf and I'm
ready to build it.

In the past I've done other projects and they've been a breeze to build
just because dsss does all of the micromanagement for me. I don't have
to waste my time with make/build/rebuild/whatnot.

Just my 2c.

O.