DSSS 0.69 released.

Rioshin an'Harthen rharth75 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 10 08:23:21 PDT 2007

"Bruno Medeiros" <brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail> kirjoitti viestissä
news:f9hhen$18n8$1 at digitalmars.com...
> I've read:
> http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dsss/trunk/docs/README.overview
> and indeed the Building component (handled by rebuild I presume?) is
> definitely useful, as I'm sure there is no doubt.
>
> As for the Installation component, well in either two cases:
> If you just want to use the software (the binaries, not the source code),
> then OS facilities should be used to install/uninstall the software, not
> something as specific as DSSS.
> If you want to use the software's source code, then you should be able to
> "install" it just by unpacking an archive file, and "unistall" it by
> deleting said archive/folder. As for dependencies, see bellow:
>
> As for the Acquisition component (note, I'm not familiar with Perl's CPAN
> or Ruby's Gems) :
> Again, if you just want to use the software, then OS-specific facilities
> should be used, otherwise it's just reinventing the wheel (is this even an
> intended use-case?)
> If it's to mess around with the source, I am of the opinion that a given
> project distribution should have all of it's dependencies in the
> distribution as well (headers + binary libraries). For example my last C++
> project had SDL, DevIL, GLUT, GLEW and some other deps all bundled in.
> It's just simpler that way. The only problem I see with this approach is
> redundant disk space, which is hardly significant.
> The only scenerio I'm seeing where DSSS could be useful, is when I have
> project that *I* am developing (ie, not a third part project), that has a
> lot of dependencies, *and* where I would want to update those dependencies
> often during the course of development. And even then, it might be just as
> easy to have a shell script that downloaded the latest versions of said
> dependencies, and unpacked them.
> So explain to me a scenario where DSSS is useful. :)

[sarcasm]
And I bet version control should be done by tarring up the directory the
code resides in and renaming it to <something>-<some version
number>.tar[|.bz2|gz]. There's no way a program like CVS or SVN could be
useful... and if they were useful, you shouldn't use them anyway, but depend
on what the OS provides, if it provides any versioning capabilities at
all...
[/sarcasm]