DSSS 0.69 released.

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Fri Aug 10 09:11:25 PDT 2007

Reply to Bruno,

> I've read:
> http://svn.dsource.org/projects/dsss/trunk/docs/README.overview
> and indeed the Building component (handled by rebuild I presume?) is
> definitely useful, as I'm sure there is no doubt.
> As for the Installation component, well in either two cases:
> If you just want to use the software (the binaries, not the source
> code), then OS facilities should be used to install/uninstall the
> software, not something as specific as DSSS.

Yes, at that point dsss isn't the right tool. (don't get me started, today’s
installers are all jokes in one way or another)

> If you want to use the software's source code, then you should be able
> to "install" it just by unpacking an archive file, and "unistall" it
> by
> deleting said archive/folder. As for dependencies, see bellow:
> As for the Acquisition component (note, I'm not familiar with Perl's
> CPAN or Ruby's Gems) :
> If it's to mess around with the source, I am of the opinion that a
> given
> project distribution should have all of it's dependencies in the
> distribution as well (headers + binary libraries).

DSSS uses svn to download stuff. Unless you want to require that all svn
repositories have all dependencies in them (bad idea) then you need to also
do svn co on the decencies and that what DSSS does.