Mmrnmhrm 0.1 released

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Mon Aug 20 05:48:43 PDT 2007

Deewiant wrote:
> Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>> Deewiant wrote:
>>> Let me be the first to awe at the Star Control reference. Good way of
>>> getting an untaken name for software, too. Any particular etymology?
>>>
>> What do you mean any particular etymology?
>>

> Any particular reason why you chose the name?

I wanted a cool, but also silly name (kinda to reflect the offshoot
nature of Mmrnmhrm). Also, in the SC universe the Mmrnmhrm race merges
with another race (*wink*).

>>> Oh, and the IDE looks good, too <g>. I don't use IDEs, though.
>> I hope to awe at more than just the name ^^. I have to ask, why don't you use
>> IDEs?
>>

> I like having only one editor, with a consistent configuration (appearance,
> behaviour, set of commands), regardless of what type of file I'm editing or what
> language I'm programming in.
>
> I'm currently doing my best to learn Vim, as it may be the best of both worlds:
> amazingly configurable to provide much IDE-like functionality whilst still being
> a good "simple" text editor.

If that is your major issue (consistency across contexts/languages), and
not the text/CLI vs GUI issue which was recently discussed, then I would
say Eclipse is still a strong bet. Both Descent and Mmrnmhrm try to
emulate the look and feel of JDT (including details such as
keybindings), and that is a trend that is becoming prevalent in other
Eclipse based IDEs as well. Consider for example this demo video for a
Ruby IDE based on Eclipse (and DLTK):
http://us.xored.com/~haiodo/EclipseCon07/dltk-ruby.mov
Eclipse itself is improving support for common IDE interaction
infrastructure. For example, it recently added support for defining
keybindings for IDE commands common to several IDEs in one single
logical command (so that for example, if you want to change the
keybinding of Open Declaration from F3 to something else, you don't have
to do it for each Eclipse IDE you have, such as JDT, CDT, etc.)

--
Bruno Medeiros - MSc in CS/E student