Prioritizing bug fixes & improvements to D

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sun Aug 26 11:32:51 PDT 2007

At the conference, I was asked in various ways how bug fixes and
improvements are prioritized, given that so much needs to be done.

The short answer is, it's ad hoc. The longer answer is I have some vague
notion of whatever bubbles to the top of a cost/benefit analysis.

The cost is how much work it is to implement plus how disruptive the
change will be to others. That means that trivial issues with little
benefit can get fixed quickly. An example of that would be something
like a spelling error or an obvious one liner fix.

For more complex issues, I have to look at how much benefit will it
produce. For example, a while back Don Clugston showed me that if
certain improvements were made to constant folding of string literals
were done, it would open the door to a whole new *class* of template
metaprogramming capability. This made it quite a huge benefit, and so it
bubbled up to the surface.

I also pay a lot more attention to issues people have that are blocking
work they are currently engaged in, than to issues of "it would be nice
to do this for other (unspecified) people." In other words, if there's a
current, real live use for a change, and no reasonable workaround, it's
a higher benefit for the cost.

Of course, sometimes it's leavened by just whatever catches interest du
jour <g>.