Prioritizing bug fixes & improvements to D

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Mon Aug 27 10:49:36 PDT 2007

torhu wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>>> "Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
>>> news:fasudc$1mvc$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>>
>>> They also have a high benefit: the compiler will no longer give
>>> errors (that are impossible to workaround without serious redeisgns)
>>> on otherwise valid code.
>>>
>>> Furthermore, delaying issues that are difficult to fix means they
>>> will never be fixed, at least not on any reasonable timescale.  You
>>> know that with all the new features you're going to be introducing
>>> that there will be tons of bugs, probably lots of little easy ones.
>>> Keep squashing all the little ones, though, and the big ones will
>>> just fester.
>>>
>>> Another one that comes to mind is broken selective/renamed import
>>> privacy (bugzilla 313/314).
>>
>> I hate those import bugs too, but are they really preventing anyone
>> from getting work done?  It's not hard to work around usually.
>
> It becomes a real problem when porting code from say, C, because then
> you don't want to reorganize the whole thing to avoid forward references
> errors.  If you're starting from scratch you can usually fix the
> problems with some amount of trial and error, but if you're starting
> with a couple of dozens of files ported from another language, it's a
> lot harder.
>
> The problem is that it's very hard to figure out what exactly causes
> these errors, so fixing them can take a lot of time.  You don't know
> exactly what causes them, and you don't know exactly why it works if you
> manage to fix them.  It's just no fun.
>
> To make matters worse, dmd 1.018 introduced a new forward reference
> error into one of my projects.  For now, I've just documented that you
> need to use dmd 1.017 or older to compile it.  Without a simple test
> case, reporting it in the bugzilla will only get me replies the likes of
> 'dude, please post a minimal test case, or nothing will happen'.  Making
> such a test case could take me hours, and if it leads to the bug
> (regression, even) getting fixed, it's still just the tip of the iceberg
> when it comes to forward reference errors.
>
> This kind of seemingly random errors have a really high pain-in-the-ass
> factor.  Please make them go away.  Or at least document the known bugs
> and their workarounds.

Oh yeh, I'm totally in agreement that the forward referencing errors are
bad and need fixing.  I was only questioning whether the import issues
(313/314) were also in the same category of seriousness.  The errors
generated because of those issues would generally be pretty easy to work
around I would think, even if they do make a mockery of module
encapsulation.

--bb