DSSS 0.72.1 released.

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 19:15:38 PDT 2007

Gregor Richards wrote:
> DSSS, the D Shared Software System, is a tool to ease the building,
> installation, configuration and acquisition of D software.
>
> 0.72 and 0.72.1 have been fairly tiny releases. 0.72 just fixed a bug.
> 0.72.1 is tiny in terms of changes, but the one change is big:
>  - Now supports D 2.0.
>
> Note that 2.0 support is not extensively tested (my primary platform is
> GDC), but it did compile some simple tests.
>
> As per usual, more information and downloads are available at
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/dsss/
>
>  - Gregor Richards

Hooray.

Also, your slides were very entertaining.  The graph of UNIX build tools
was particularly amusing.

So, anyway.  DSSS is putting me in a bit of a palava.  I actually have
four different, incompatible compilers on my system: DMD 1.x with
Phobos, DMD 1.x with Tango, DMD 2.x with Phobos and GCD
0.somethingorother with GPhobos.  You'll note I haven't tried getting
GDC w/ Tango to work yet, which would make it five.

Now, I can use the -dc=blah switch to go between them, which is fine...
until I actually use any libraries from DSSS.  The problem is that DSSS
*insists* on compiling everything down to libraries, which means that if
I `dsss net install` DerelictGL, say, using -dc=dmd-win, then I cannot
compile a program using -dc=dmd-win-tango with DSSS.

It gets more fun when you manually check out the latest Derelict source
into your project's source folder, recompile, and discover that DSSS's
import directory is before everything else on the command line.  Which
means you would have to completely remove Derelict from DSSS.  Which I
believe is because arguments get inserted into the command line as
`$DFLAGS $COMMAND_LINE`.

Which, in the end, means I can't really use DSSS for projects on
different compilers that use the same library.  Funnily enough, that's
the exact same set of projects I'm trying to use DSSS for... :(

So, question: are you planning to add versioning to DSSS at some point
in the future?  I don't need it *right now*, but it would be nice to
know.  In the meantime, is there any chance of getting a "you know what,
don't bother compiling this to a library; just use the source every
time.  Yes, I know it's not efficient, but it's that or linker errors.
Don't give me that puppy-dog-eyes look!  Just do it" flag?

	-- Daniel