The D Programming Language by Andrei Alexandrescu

eao197 eao197 at intervale.ru
Fri Dec 7 00:34:25 PST 2007

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 09:22:10 +0300, Robert Fraser
<fraserofthenight at gmail.com> wrote:

> eao197 wrote:
>> On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 04:48:40 +0300, Walter Bright
>> <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

>>> The idea is that the book will represent D 2.0.
>>  Could we expect that D 2.0 will be stable enough at Oct 2008 and there
>> won't be new compatibility-breaking changes in the language?
>>

> I hope it isn't.
>
> I like the fact that D is constantly evolving. Certainly, there's a bit
> of feature creep here & there, but overall it gives the feeling that D
> is certainly bridging the gap between programming paradigms and
> presenting itself as a modern language.

I don't want to start a new wave of this holy war. It is need to clarify
my question: there are good examples of new versions of languages which do
not require redesigning already written programs: evolution of Java,
evolution of C#, evolution of Ruby (prior to 1.9), evolution of Python
(prior to 3.0) and so on. These aren't 100% source code compatible, but
switching to a new version requires only relative small changes in
existing programs (C# 3.0 is very good example of adding some of new
ground-breaking features in the language). So my question means: would D
2.0 be in the state when new language modifications won't require
redesigning old programs? Unlike to the situation with const in D 2.0
which requires careful addition of const in D 1.0-based programs.

--
Regards,
Yauheni Akhotnikau