Mayhem Intergalactic: First commercial game written in D?

Chris P. chrisp at inventivedingo.com
Tue Dec 18 20:08:23 PST 2007

Sebastian Beschke wrote:
> I'm also currently working on a game project in D with a small team, and
> I can second most of what you said.

Ah, cool. Commercial or freeware game?

If you ever port it to Mac, let me know if you run into any problems; I
may be able to help. Been there, done that. :-)

> Chris P. schrieb:
>> - I wrote my own game engine, even though I knew it would make the
>> process harder and longer. Seems like everyone falls into this trap.
>> Next time I'm definitely going to use an existing and well-supported
>> game engine.
>
> ... of which there currently aren't any stable ones for D, as far as I
> can see. Or am I missing something?

No, you're not missing anything. (ArcLib aside - sorry Clay, but I'm not
convinced it's well-enough supported yet for me to be confident about
building a commercial game on it. Porting to Mac would still have been
an issue, for the same reasons and in the same way.) So this mistake was
inevitable as a consequence of using D. I'm listing it separately anyway
because it's worth noting.

A stable, well-supported, already-ported-everywhere game engine or three
would do wonders for D's usability as a game development platform.
Sadly, such things take a fair amount of time and effort to build.

>> I do think this situation has improved somewhat since I started work on
>> Mayhem Intergalactic, more than two years ago. Having said that, I'm not
>> sure I could currently whole-heartedly recommend D to a fellow indie
>> game developer, largely because of the library situation;
>
> I second that. I wish we had used C++ instead, even though coding in D
> is much more fun. It just would have saved us so much work.

Indeed. Though I probably would have used Python, just because I seem to
have a talent for making C++ programs that spit obscure compiler errors
or contain unexplainable, undebuggable, seemingly random crashes. <g>

Doesn't happen with any other language - not D, nor Java, nor Python,
nor even plain C - just with C++... so strange.

(If any potential employers are reading this, the above was a joke!
Honest. I've learnt a lot since writing my last C++ program.)

- Chris P.