Tangobos for Tango 0.99.4

Kris foo at bar.com
Fri Dec 21 18:08:38 PST 2007

"Bill Baxter" <dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com> wrote ...
> Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
>> Tango made a huge leap towards Phobos compatibility in the 0.99.4 release
>> when changing back to toString from toUtf8. To further simplify use of
>> Phobos modules with the Tango runtime, Tangobos has been updated, and is
>> also available as a library bundled with the DMD packages of Tango.
>
> Two great steps!
>
> So that means any tango code using toUtf8 will break instantly upon
> upgrading?  Or has toUtf8 just been deprecated?
>

> --bb

The announcement post did not note this explicitly, but the 0.99.4 release
has breaking changes in it. This was likely omitted simply because we've
been discussing it on IRC for so long that it's now "old news" to those who
use Tango on a regular basis. Sorry about that. There's a list of all the
0.99.4 changes on the front page of the Tango site, which has been updated
regularly since 0.99.3 was released. For the toUtf8() change, you can most
likely do a simple mechanical change from toUtf8 => toString. At least,
that's generally what people have been doing.

Anyway, the upshot is that Tango now happily runs ~95% of unchanged (D1)
Phobos code, via the Tangobos plugin. We made some adjustments in the 0.99.4
release in order to make this more convenient; the most significant being
the adoption of toString(). Major kudos to Gregor Richards for creating and
maintaining Tangobos!
A note on Installation:

Tangobos is nicely bundled for Win32 so that it installs cleanly over an
existing bundled Tango installation. Specifically, Phobos imports are placed
into import/tangobos as a sibling of import/tango, a .lib library is placed
into the usual spot, and sc.ini is replaced with a pre-configured version.

Please let us know about any adjustments you'd like, over at the Tango
forums or the irc channels.

The Tangobos Win32 release is available with the other Tango release files.
Here is a direct link:

http://downloads.dsource.org/projects/tango/0.99.4/tangobos-0.99.4-bin-win32-dmd.1.024.zip