Tangobos for Tango 0.99.4

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Sat Dec 22 01:57:44 PST 2007

BLS wrote:
> Bill Baxter schrieb:
>> Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
>>> Tango made a huge leap towards Phobos compatibility in the 0.99.4
>>> release
>>> when changing back to toString from toUtf8. To further simplify use of
>>> Phobos modules with the Tango runtime, Tangobos has been updated, and is
>>> also available as a library bundled with the DMD packages of Tango.
>>
>> Two great steps!
>>
>> So that means any tango code using toUtf8 will break instantly upon
>> upgrading?  Or has toUtf8 just been deprecated?
>>

>> --bb
> Good morning Bill,
> Would it make sense to merge your std2 work into Tangobos ?
>
> Bjoern

I don't think it should be necessary.  Because std2 only relies on plain
D1 phobos, and D1 phobos is what Tangobos is supposed to replace.  So I
think std2 should just ride fine on top of Tangobos like any other
phobos-using code.

Put another way, the reason Tangobos has to exist is to paste over the
low-level differences in phobos and tango.  So even inside Tangobos I
suspect most of the modules are practically unchanged from the original
phobos source.

As to whether it would be useful to have it be part of a standard
Phobos/Tangobos install, I dunno.  Someone using those things regularly
would be in a better position to answer that.

--bb