Tango Group Imports

Marcin Kuszczak aarti_please_no at spam_interia.pl
Sun Dec 30 03:01:27 PST 2007

Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
> We are not sure either that tango.group is what the community wants
> (community here meaning D community, not necessarily Tango, although that
> may or may not be interchangeable), but note that requests from a single
> person wouldn't go in that category :)

Oh, well... There were at least two other people who expressed their
concerns about long imports on D newsgroup... Also whole Phango thread
seemed to be about stylistic differences between Phobos and Tango.
And 'Phobos way' supporters were quite vocal :-)

Seeing a lot of different proposals, I think that my proposition is not very
radical. That's just (mostly) minor adjustments which IMHO would help to
make Tango friendlier for Phobos/C++ users.

BTW I think that in area of stylistic issues the best tool to measure demand
are pools. Stylistic issues are usually very hard to justify by only
rational arguments. In these cases "point of view" is usually more
important than rationale. So here pools are perfect tool to get information
what is better. Maybe it wouldn't be so difficult to integrate into Tango
web page some poolling support?

> Yes, I know you have these opinions, but compared to the group import
> feature, this is not something we consider a very highly requested thing
> to fix, and so we cannot say that there indeed _is_ a problem that needs
> fixing. Your points are sane of course, and you may in some respect be
> correct. If we were to change import hierarchy (I don't see how that is
> possible before 1.0 given our capacity), we would need to put _a lot_ of
> thought into it, to truly improve on the current situation, which I
> personally find quite good. For some packages, a solution similar to that
> of time may be appropriate, but we feel there is a limit to how many
> packages should be at the highest level too.
>
> If you want such a process to start (be warned, it may not lead to
> anything), you need to write up a fairly complete proposal with the
> necessary reasoning and post it via a ticket.

I will put it on Tango ticket system in hope that it would be considered by
Tango developers :-)

Anyway thanks for very impressive work on Tango!

--
Regards
Marcin Kuszczak (Aarti_pl)