I'm still here ... kind of

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 17:31:45 PST 2007

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 19:37:10 -0500, Stewart Gordon wrote:

> John Reimer Wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> There's always Pan... it's good.  In fact, it's great! :)
>
> Either I'm missing something, or the Pan website (at least the one I've found)
>
> http://pan.rebelbase.com/
>
> gives no indication of the system requirements.  Not until I tried to run the installer did it come clean with:
> "Pan can not be installed on Windows 9x/ME"
>
> Stewart.

Wow, I had no idea that was a limitation (didn't know there were that
many people still using win98). You do need to install the Gtk+ 2 shared
libraries first, which you can find here:

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

(win98 ones are listed the third section down)

Just a word of caution... Pan is great, in fact better than most other
newsreaders I've played with but on win32, it has crashed a couple of
times.  No loss or bother, really.  But it's only fair to be honset about
that.  Of course, after looking at the "requirements" section at the site
you listed above (where on downloads win32 pan), I notice I didn't
download a few of the libraries indicated there.  Not sure why that's not
flagged when loading the sofware (I don't think I have pcre, gmime, or
gtkspell on my system... unless gtk+ 2 includes those automatically).  So
maybe the rare crashes are due to that?

I also notice, like you mention, that system requirements are not
mentioned.  This is very wrong.  Maybe the source indicates whether it can
built for win98/ME?  I'm not sure.

-JJR