I'm still here ... kind of

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 17:41:01 PST 2007

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 19:37:10 -0500, Stewart Gordon wrote:

> John Reimer Wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> There's always Pan... it's good.  In fact, it's great! :)
>
> Either I'm missing something, or the Pan website (at least the one I've found)
>
> http://pan.rebelbase.com/
>
> gives no indication of the system requirements.  Not until I tried to run the installer did it come clean with:
> "Pan can not be installed on Windows 9x/ME"
>
> Stewart.

Another thing... which version are you downloading?  The 0.14.2 stable or
the 0.121 beta?  I'm using the beta one on winxp.

It seems the windows versions of the installer/binaries
are compiled by outside "unofficial" sources... these fellas might just
have not bothered to indicate the system dependencies on there packages.
One could also compile the package themselves...but that's likely more
work than it's worth.

Pan, unfortunately, is not windows "oriented" software... it's
appears to be more there as a side effect of gtk+ 2 being available on
win32 (it certainly still looks good, however). I use the beta one
effectively on winxp and still prefer it to all others because of it's
size, speed, simplicity, and fairly comprehensive functionality... But, of
course, it seems to work much better on linux, where it's pratically
native.  It's your call whether or not you can put up with such software:
not everybody tolerates things being beta.

-JJR