Tango 0.95 beta1 released

Chad J gamerChad at _spamIsBad_gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 19:30:06 PST 2007

Good to see the famed uber lib out in the open!

When I try to use it though, I get the following compiler error:

--------------------------

C:\Dprojects\tango>build main.d -clean
Assertion failure: 'classinfo->structsize == CLASSINFO_SIZE' on line 315
in file
  'toobj.c'

abnormal program termination

C:\Dprojects\tango>

--------------------------

main.d:

import tango.io.Stdout;

void main()
{
	Stdout.println("Hello world!" );
}

--------------------------

Any idea what caused this?

Also, reading the docs I have a few questions/complaints/critiques:

Why do I have to instantiate classes to do stuff like basic file/path
operations?  I don't like having to keep track of classes and stuff when
doing such trivial things.  Maybe there could be a procedural wrapper
around this stuff?

Is there some simple way to get a start a timer that will either call a
callback after some period of time or give you the time since it was
started like in phobos' std.perf?

Is there any way I could make my programs that still use phobos compile
again without uninstalling Tango?

The documentation uses 'auto' a lot.  auto is a cool feature, but now I
have no idea what file.read; returns or how to deal with it.  Is it an
array of (u)bytes (I hope!) ??  Is it something else that needs special
care?  I suppose I could read the more exhaustive API index or even the
source, but that would kinda defeat the purpose of a quick reference.

Questions/critique aside, Tango seems the best hope for a high quality
and community driven standard library.  Thank you very much for your
effort Tango team!