Tango 0.95 beta1 released

kris foo at bar.com
Thu Feb 1 23:36:36 PST 2007

Chad J wrote:
> For the rest of us, would you consider having a wrapper for that stuff
> included in Tango?

Can't promise anything, but I'll certainly run it by folks here

>> Not yet. Want to write one?
>>

> Sure.
>
> Problem is though, I'm in a bit of time crunch with midterms,
> scholarship essays, and my father's birthday, so I probably wouldn't be
> able to even start for another week or so.  Is that OK?

Absolutely :)

> OK, thanks.  Yeah, that's a bit inconvenient.  Hope dmd changes then.

That would be great if it did. If a change were to happen there, it
might be worth pursuing something about -g switching to a different lib,
or a different sc.ini libspec? maybe.

>> That's a good point. And at this time we don't have a quick reference
>> per se [writes a ticket for it].
>>
>> FWIW, untyped data in Tango is invariably returned as a void[], and
>> the API links are pretty good even if the doc isn't always complete --
>> the doc API uses CandyDoc, and the big-blue-title at the top leads to
>> a Decant generated source listing. All the other blue links on the
>> CandyDoc pages lead to Wiki comments, which we'll uses for improving
>> the code doc etc. Quite sophiticated really, for API doc :)
>>

> Might I suggest that ubyte[] or byte[] be a more appropriate return type
> for some of those arrays due to the type-awareness of the GC?  It would
> suck to read in a "noisy" data file and have the GC choke on it, or have
> to always tell the GC that there are no pointers there.  I'm assuming
> you will never find valid pointers to memory in a file from a drive, or
> if you do, the GC probably wasn't scanning the file anyways so you'd
> have problems if you didn't already have a safety reference.

Yes. There just wasn't enough time to doink all of those since the
compiler release. Under the covers, though, methods like File.read()
allocate a byte[], but return it as a void[] to indicate the lack of
known type. If I understand correctly, this should address your concern?