DMD 1.005 release

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Tue Feb 6 00:33:48 PST 2007

Kevin Bealer wrote:
> You fixed all the bugs I've added in recent memory.  Plus, if I
> understand correctly, the implications of some of these features is
> staggering...
>
> It looks like one could write a few hundred line module that can pull in
> and do compile-time interpreting of a language of the complexity of say,
> Scheme.  And the code in the module could be both readable and
> straightforward...  And the results would be absorbed into the calling
> code as normal optimizable statements...

The irony is that it only took 3 hours to implement, which shows the
power of having the lexing, parsing, and semantic passes be logically
distinct.

The idea is to enable the creation of DSLs (Domain Specific Languages)
that don't have the crippling problem C++ expression templates have -
that of being stuck with C++ operators and precedence.

To make this work, however, one must be able to manipulate strings at
compile time. I've made a start on a library to do this,
std.metastrings, based on earlier work by Don Clugston and Eric Anderton.

This is just the start of what's going to happen with D 2.0.