DMD 1.005 release

Ary Manzana ary at esperanto.org.ar
Tue Feb 6 11:56:29 PST 2007

Hasan Aljudy escribió:

> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Fixes many bugs, some serious.
>>
>> Some new goodies.
>>
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html
>>
>> http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.005.zip
>
> Wow, this is no small change .. this should've ben dmd 1.2 or something.
>
> Now, there's already been alot of talk about what new doors this might
> open, so I'm not gonna talk about that.
>
> What concerns me is that this will make semantic analysis more difficult
> to implement.
>
> Just think about "build/bud" for example, now the author will have to
> worry about things like:
> mixin("import x.y.z");
>
> or even worse:
> mixin(templ1!(something, templ2!(somethingelse), "x.y"));
>
> I don't see how it's possible to interpret that without implementing a
> full compiler.
>
> P.S. I know that for "build" all we need is a list of import files, and
> dmd already has a switch to do that.

I also like the new features and think the same as you.

First, I don't know what is the real beneffit of this features. I mean,
I want to see a real world example using mixins before thinking they are
great (BTW, the first time I saw them PHP inmediately came into my
head... even more after the post about """ @msg """).

Second, this makes even harder to get good IDE support for D. You can
have syntax coloring, and that's it. Autocompletion is going to be a
very though part: the IDE must act as a compiler, as you say it, to
figure out what the program will look like so that it can know what are
the declarations available to the programmer.

Anyway, I'm still working on Descent, and when I get to that part (which
I plan to implement because it's all there, in DMD... I guess?), I'll
tell you. :-)