DMD 1.005 release

Charlie charlie.fats at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 14:27:18 PST 2007

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Ary Manzana wrote:
>> Walter Bright escribió:
>>>
>>> True, but on the other hand, specifically not supporting it in the
>>> IDE may act as a needed brake on evil uses of it.
>>
>> I didn't say an IDE won't support it, I said it'll be very hard to get
>> there :-)
>>
>> But... I'm wondering which are the evil uses of it. For me it's now
>> almost impossible not to program with an IDE (big projects, I mean).
>> At least in Java. Maybe compile time stuff will make it such that an
>> IDE won't be needed anymore. But it's very hard for me to see that
>> happening.
>
> Oddly, I've found myself moving away from IDEs over the years, perhaps
> partially because the editors I like to use aren't IDEs.  About the only
> time I use an IDE any more is for debugging... coding happens elsewhere.
>

> Sean

When you inherit code or start to code on an existing project, the
ability to 'ctrl+click' to jump to that variables definition is a huge
time saver, otherwise you have to grep through tons of files , and in
large libraries the classes may be nested very deep, you might have to
ctrl+click 5 times before you get to what you're looking for.

I've actually gone the opposite way, drifting towards IDE's over time,
even though for 'one-moduler's it remains <insert favorite editor here>.

I am really looking forward to descent, I hope you can devote enough
time to Ary.

Charlie