DMD 1.005 release

Derek Parnell derek at nomail.afraid.org
Tue Feb 6 15:27:53 PST 2007

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 11:55:18 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:

> Hasan Aljudy wrote:
>> I don't see how it's possible to interpret that without implementing a
>> full compiler.
>
> You're right, it isn't possible.
>
>> P.S. I know that for "build" all we need is a list of import files, and
>> dmd already has a switch to do that.
>
> DMD will also output a list of files that are textually imported, so bud
> can pick them up at least the second time around.

Thanks Walter! :-(

Bud is no longer a useful tool because it can no longer do what it was
trying to do - namely find out which files needed recompiling and get only
that done. Because in order to do that now, it first has to recursively
compile each command line file and imported file using the -c -v switches
to get a list of the potential files needing to be checked for
recompilation. But seeing I've just compiled them to get this list, there
is not much point now in /recompiling/ them. Also, mixin-imported files are
not necessarily modules but must be treated as code fragments, so they
can't be compiled to see if they in-turn effectively import other files!

My work here is (un)done.

It seems that DMD now needs to be enhanced to do what Rebuild and Bud were
trying to do.

--
Derek
(skype: derek.j.parnell)