Steve Yegge's rant on The Next Big Language

Kevin Bealer kevinbealer at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 23:36:34 PST 2007

Chad J wrote:
> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>> "Manfred Nowak" <svv1999 at hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:eqoukm$17se$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>
>>> Deewiant wrote

>>> Seems pretty clear, that NBL == D.
>>>
>>> -manfred
>>

>> Except for the typing system (though it could certainly get there),
>> the absolute lack of tools, and missing about half of the Kitchen Sink
>> points ;) Admit it, we all look at the programming language world
>> through D-colored glasses.  Though this article seems more oriented at
>> the next big _apps_ language.  I could really see D taking over
>> C/C++'s slot as the systems language, and maybe a little of the apps
>> as well.
>>

> Yeah, I'd bet that, at least in Steve's eyes, D != NBL.  After all, D
> was mentioned under the "NBL does not replace C++" section, and he said
> D was a contender to replace C++.  Hey, we can always shoot for The Big
> Language After The Next Big Language, or TBLATNBL!

He seems to exclude D from the NBL for categorical reasons, i.e. the
replaces C++ thing.  But it's pretty impressive that in this long
negative article about how all languages suck, and every language is
criticized for rampant inadequacies, but the little section on D reads
like he is in love with D nevertheless.

Kevin