Steve Yegge's rant on The Next Big Language

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 13 07:09:59 PST 2007

"BCS" <ao at pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:ce0a334373d08c91d138f82c904 at news.digitalmars.com...
> To pick at a few:
> Does any language do interators for user type as language features? You
> have to write them your self in every language I know of.

...well if you don't write the iterator for your user type, how is the
language going to know how to iterate over it?  When Steve said "iterators
and generators" as a 'thing to have', I think he meant that they are
first-class primitives in the language.  Having to write a custom iterator
for a class wouldn't change that fact.

> But *I* don't care if things come from a lib or from a feature, just how
> well they get the job done.

I don't either.  But then you have languages like C++, where you are
practically crippled without a library.  It's nice to have a basic set of
powerful functionality without having to resort to the standard library to
do the most common tasks.  D does that very well right now, but that doesn't
mean it's perfect.