[OT] Re: DMD 1.005 release

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Tue Feb 13 12:15:22 PST 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Kirk McDonald wrote:
>> Ohh, lookit all the huge, pretty red sections.
>
> My goal is to make the Boost implementation code look as obsolete as a
> muzzle-loading smoothbore.

It has nothing to do with the conversation, but your statement reminded
me...  I saw a show not too long ago (may have been MythBusters) where
the penetration depth of various types of ammunition were tested in
water.  Modern bullets had poor penetration because they tended to
tumble upon entering the water, thus creating drag (max injury depth was
less than 5 feet).  And high-velocity rounds tended to fragment upon
entry and had even shallower penetration (around 3 feet).  Finally, a
muzzle-loading smoothbore was tested and it had by far the deepest
penetration of any weapon tested.  So if you're being shot at in a lake,
I suppose you don't want the shooter using Boost ;-)

Sean