DMD 1.006 release

Miles _______ at _______.____
Thu Feb 15 16:10:36 PST 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Compile time function execution!

Best D release ever!

But the way you are numbering DMD versions is really annoying :-(

"1.006" does not express how much changed. The last software I saw that
used decimal versions was Netscape Navigator, and before that I can't
even remember. Most software companies I know deprecated this scheme of
version numbering for a good reason.

3 or 4-piece version numbers are largely used today, and they express a
lot better the life history of a software.

1.000 should have been called 1.0.0;

>From 1.001 to 1.004, they should have been numbered 1.0.1 until 1.0.4;

Now, 1.005 and 1.006, both introduced sensible changes to the language
spec, so 1.1.0 and 1.2.0 for them.

This also allows one to refer to things like "version 1.1 of D spec".
Today, we have to say "the D spec as it was between 1.005 and 1.006"...

Also, version numbers are not decimal numbers. 1.10 is greater than 1.9.
No need for leading zeros.