DMD 1.006 release

Justin C Calvarese technocrat7 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 12:54:22 PST 2007

Don Clugston wrote:
> Brad Anderson wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>> I predict that it won't be long before other compiled languages will
>>> seem antiquated if they don't have such capability.
>>
>> Mmmm, the smell of world domination in the morning.
>
> How times have changed. When I started paying attention to D (Aug 2005),
> the website and spec had a defensive feel ("not as powerful as C++, but
> much  simpler"). And there was a link to the very first D announcement,
> which had a list of "Features to drop from C++", which included
> "templates".

Yes, it is pretty amazing how powerful D was at 1.0 compared to Walter's
earlier ideas.

 From 2001/08/14:
"I know that templates likely will be a big issue. I intend to address
it in version 2 of the language. The way C++ does it is simply too
complicated for me, I am trying to find a simpler way, so much more
thought needs to be expended there."
(http://www.digitalmars.com/pnews/read.php?server=news.digitalmars.com&group=D&artnum=15)

--
jcc7