dDSciTE 1.72 editor released

Mikola Lysenko mclysenk at mtu.edu
Sun Feb 18 08:40:59 PST 2007

Micke wrote:
> DSciTE is an slightly modified version of the scite editor.
> It is mainly intended for D programming and for smaller projects.
> Download windows version from here: http://dronten.googlepages.com/dscite
>
> You can download latest compiler tools from within the editor.
> The compiler tools are installed in sub directory of dscite so it is totally self contained.
>
> You can change and set most of the common dmd and bud flags from the editor so there are no need for any build files.
> If there is a need to tweak the build settings more, you can do that in the property file for d (in cpp.properties)
>
> /Micke

This is very nice.  Back when I ran windows, I used SciTE almost
exclusively.  The editor is a much better option for most of my projects
than visual studios or emacs.  Is there any chance you might port this
to other systems?

These days, I mostly use OS X and Linux.  On Linux, decent text editors
are easy to find and install.  This is not very surprising given the
higher percentage of technically literate folks who run Unix, plus the
fact that you need a text editor to pretty much anything in the system.

Yet ironically enough I have yet to find even a single passable GUI text
editor for programming on OS X.  For an operating system that prides
itself on ease of use, it is quite pathetic that the only code editor
(vim) lacks mouse support!  I've searched for other options, but they
all fall into one or more of the following categories:

1. Buggy
2. Shareware
3. Bloated
4. Dumbed down web only editors

An OS X port of SciTE would solve so many issues, and make many Mac
programmers very happy.

-Mik