DMD 1.006 release

kris foo at bar.com
Wed Feb 21 11:07:35 PST 2007

kris wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>
>> Walter Bright wrote:

>>> I don't know. Which platform?
>>

>> Win32.  We're still investigating, but building the same code with DMD
>> 1.0 gives us a HelloWorld EXE of 90,652 bytes.  With 1.005 the same
>> code gives us a HelloWorld EXE of 113,180 bytes.  I have yet to try
>> 1.006 but reports indicate that the size is roughly the same as
>> 1.005.  I think no one simply noticed this until 1.006 experimentation
>> began today.  If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say most of the size
>> change is probably a result of the TypeInfo changes post-1.0, but it
>> will take a while to dig through object files to sort all this out.
>>

>> Sean
>

> with 1006, the result is 114,716. That's 26% larger than 1.0 ?

With 1007, this dropped by a half-kb to 114,204. Possibly due to a
little code motion.

Now that typeinfo et al are isolated in separate segments, how do we get
the linker to drop all the unused ones?

I ask, since the example used for tracking down the lib issues has the
following characteristics:

code ~120kb
data ~60kb

Looking at what's represented by data, a rough guess is that an
elimination of unused data would reduce it by perhaps as much as 75%