New Layout Wiki4D

Wed Feb 28 10:03:37 PST 2007

Stewart Gordon wrote:
> Frits van Bommel Wrote:
> <snip>
>> Yes, the first thing I noticed was that the page should be wider,
>> and use a larger font.  It only uses half my screen space with a
>> rather small font on my monitor.
>
> Wrong again.  It should have no width set at all.

It'll still have a width on my screen :P.
(Note I didn't say anything about a width *property*, just the width of
the page. You know, the English word "width"?)

 >  Fixed width layouts on web pages should never have been invented.

Very true. A portable document format (i.e. html) has no business
specifying stuff in pixels.
*If* a width needs to be set, set it in ems. (Long paragraphs can get
hard to read if the text is full-width)

> Either specify font sizes in ems, not pixels or points, or don't specify them at all.

This was pretty much what I meant to say. (I couldn't remember the name
for the proper unit though)