New Layout Wiki4D

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Wed Feb 28 12:51:38 PST 2007

Stewart Gordon wrote:
>> The ideal solution is having paragraphs elements that layout
>> such that they create natural (magazine-style) columns
>> regardless of the dimensions of the page itself.  But I have
>> yet to see that happen without constraining the page width,
>> height or number of columns in some way, without resorting to
>> javascript hacks.  ;)
>
> Some would claim that magazine-style columns don't belong on the WWW, but are just a pointless attempt to mimic printed material.  Someone once said:

I've heard somewhere before that narrower text is easier to read.  But
just now I couldn't find anything in the way of corroboration.
I did find this:
http://hubel.sfasu.edu/research/textmargin.html
"""
Conclusions

Results indicated that, by itself, text width does not influence
readability; however, there was a significant interaction between text
width and margin width.
"""

But I really don't like what the data shows.  They say an 8inch column
is significantly more readable with 0-inch margins.  Ugh, I hate
zero-width margins.  Makes me feel all stressed out looking at zero
width margins.

--bb