New Layout Wiki4D [OT]

Chris Nicholson-Sauls ibisbasenji at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 17:07:06 PST 2007

Stewart Gordon wrote:
> Pragma Wrote:
> <snip>
>> It can be done a whole bunch of ways: javascript + CSS comes
>> to mind so you can adopt a different layout depending on the
>> viewport size/shape.  But then it all comes back to
>> accessibility and browser behavior by version and vendor:
>> "what is acceptable and what isn't" depends on your audience.
>> :(
>>
>> Now what would be nice is if browser vendors changed how big
>> an EM is depending on the viewport size.
>
> What's an EM?
>
> Stewart.

One of the units of measure that CSS recognizes.  In theory its the size of the 'M'
character for the current font face and size.  In practice it... usually is.  Its also
generally accepted as a better unit to use than px (pixels) if you want content to resize
itself nicely to fit different display sizes.  (What looks nice at 50px on my screen,
might be either invisibly miniscule or awkwardly huge on someone else's.  At 10em it'll
usually look much the same on mine and theirs.)

-- Chris Nicholson-Sauls