Announcing a new library

Jonas Kivi satelliittipupu at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 1 10:14:41 PST 2007

This all sounds great, especially if you make good containers that
satisfy people from Java and C++ traditions (and all the others too)...

Except for one little thing, that might not be a big thing, but I'll
mention it early so that you can think if you want to react to this or not:
There already is a project called Tango in the opensource world... See
http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Desktop_Project
and they've even registered the domain name: http://tango-project.org
It's is a project that tries to unify some conventions on icon naming,
and it also provides style guidelines and a base icon library with a SVG
kind of look. The project is mostly related to the Gnome desktop,
although they are hosted by freedesktop.org... And they have pretty much
established their name, and are well known by propably every free
software person that I know of. They even use the verb "Tangofied" to
mean that some application now uses icons that use the Tango style
guidelines.
I'm not trying to put you down, or suggest that you change your projects
name, but I just want to make sure you know that the name "has already
been taken". And that this might make it more difficult for your project
and D as a whole to get recognized in google, and everywhere...
Distinctive branding is quite important for any projects success these
days (atleast I think so). But in the end it's your project and you make
the decisions. I'll use it (if it's good) no matter what name you give
to it.
(And frankly, I quite like the names Mango, Ares and Deimos too... I
think that Mango is a great name. And that Ares, Phobos and Deimos
should be used as names for some core things in D, as they are all
related to the Mars thing. And maybe that stuff could be standard
library and containers, GUI library and hmm... something else? But I'm
not trying to push you into anything, just thinking out loud.)

:)