Announcing a new library

Justin C Calvarese technocrat7 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 11:37:13 PST 2007

Jonas Kivi wrote:
> This all sounds great, especially if you make good containers that
> satisfy people from Java and C++ traditions (and all the others too)...
>
> Except for one little thing, that might not be a big thing, but I'll
> mention it early so that you can think if you want to react to this or not:
> There already is a project called Tango in the opensource world... See
> http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Desktop_Project
> and they've even registered the domain name: http://tango-project.org
> It's is a project that tries to unify some conventions on icon naming,
> and it also provides style guidelines and a base icon library with a SVG
> kind of look. The project is mostly related to the Gnome desktop,
> although they are hosted by freedesktop.org... And they have pretty much
> established their name, and are well known by propably every free
> software person that I know of. They even use the verb "Tangofied" to
> mean that some application now uses icons that use the Tango style
> guidelines.
> I'm not trying to put you down, or suggest that you change your projects
> name, but I just want to make sure you know that the name "has already
> been taken". And that this might make it more difficult for your project
> and D as a whole to get recognized in google, and everywhere...
> Distinctive branding is quite important for any projects success these
> days (atleast I think so). But in the end it's your project and you make
> the decisions. I'll use it (if it's good) no matter what name you give
> to it.
> (And frankly, I quite like the names Mango, Ares and Deimos too... I
> think that Mango is a great name. And that Ares, Phobos and Deimos
> should be used as names for some core things in D, as they are all
> related to the Mars thing. And maybe that stuff could be standard
> library and containers, GUI library and hmm... something else? But I'm
> not trying to push you into anything, just thinking out loud.)
>
> :)

Hmmm. I don't know how much thought was put into choosing the "Tango"
name (Is it just a word that rhymes with Mango?), but I think that
"Ares" was the result of much brainstorming and voting. Since the "Ares"
project has apparently been abandoned in favor of being part of Tango,
maybe it would be appropriate for Tango to inherit its name.

But I guess as long as D's Tango isn't directly competing with the Tango
Desktop Project, it's probably not necessary to do any renaming.

--
jcc7