Experimental OS development using D

BCS nothing at pathlink.com
Tue Jan 2 12:38:30 PST 2007

Harry Vennik wrote:
>> What about I/O? mmap the file from a service for block devices? shared
>> memory for the buffer for stream? I have thought this would be an
>> interesting way to go.
>
> Indeed, might be something like the shared memory buffer. Such would allow very good performance.
> There may be some process isolation problems / security risks. But I think those will be solvable.

Put the security in stetting up the shared buffers and that should do it
I'd think.
Read access lets you map it in in a read only page, read/write... etc.

One thought I had on this issue is that it allows much of the IO to run
without system calls/context switches if the stream access and whatnot
is all run as part of the standard system lib. Plus, while you can mess
with your stream meta data, it only hoses you.