Announcing a new library

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Thu Jan 4 15:33:26 PST 2007

Sean Kelly wrote:
> It is our pleasure to announce the existence of a new application
> library named Tango.  Originally born from discussions about how to
> better integrate Mango and Ares, Tango has since grown substantially in
> scope, design, and participation to something that truly outshines its
> humble beginnings.  More than a simple collection of tools, it is our
> belief that Tango is a framework on top of which to build robust and
> extensible D libraries and applications.  And as we feel the
> availability of solid and extensive documentation represents a prime
> factor in library accessibility, Tango features a robust and growing set
> of documentation, examples, and tutorials.  A beta code release will
> follow shortly after the D 1.0 milestone, but in the interim here is an
> outline of some of its features:
>
> * Modularity.  The compiler runtime and garbage collector implementation
> may be chosen at link-time.
> * Atomic mark/sweep garbage collection by default, with a malloc-based
> stub allocator to serve as an example for future development.
> * User interception of important language and system-level errors and
> events.
> * Various levels of concurrency, including process control, kernel
> threads, and fibers (stack threads).
> * A robust IO framework based on the Mango design.
> * An array of mathematics routines ranging from low-level IEEE interop.
> to high-level statistics and numerics.
> * A networking model that is growing to encompass some of the most
> common IO designs and network protocols.
> * Standard C, POSIX, and system API support.
> * Basic text processing, a container package, logging facilities, and more.
>
> Tango has been tested with both DMD and GDC on Windows, Linux, and
> MacOSX for the x86 and PPC architectures.
>
> A selection of contributors include:
>
> Alexander Panek
> Anders F. Björklund
> Brad Anderson
> Brad Roberts
> Carlos Santander
> Chris Miller
> Don Clugston
> Eric Anderton
> Frank Benoit
> Gregor Richards
> Kashia Buch
> Kris Bell
> John Chapman
> John Reimer
> Juan Comellas
> Lars Ivar Igesund
> Mikola Lysenko
> Regan Heath
> Sean Kelly
> Tomasz Stachowiak
> UWB

It sounds pretty sweet!
And by the way, would the list of features/modules include something
like Kramer's path utilities (
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/announce/4363.html )
which I had mention before once? It's not a very complicated featureset
but I think it's a very useful one! (and certainly standard lib worthwhile)

--
Bruno Medeiros - MSc in CS/E student