We hit the ACM mailing list!!!

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 13:58:46 PST 2007

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 21:07:44 +0000, BCS wrote:

> When Is a D Better Than C? When It's a Language
> InternetNews.com (01/05/07) Patrizio, Andy
>
> A newly developed free programming language aims to address the shortcomings
> of C/C++, though some question the likelihood of the language's success since
> it is not being released in conjunction with any other product or platform.
> The language, D, was developed by Walter Bright, who created the first C++
> compiler, Zortech++. He has developed a compiler and standard libraries for
> both Windows and Linux for D. The Phobus standard library and the compiler
> front-end are open source, and a D compiler is included for the widely-used
> open source C compiler, GCC. D is able to produce compiled code without the
> need of a virtual machine. The language is also somewhat backwards compatible
> with C: It can be interfaced with any C API without the need for a call interface;
> but it adds Java and Microsoft C# functions such as garbage collection, an
> inline assembler, and Java-like single inheritance. In production since 2001,
> D has received considerable contribution from the Slashdot/open source developer
> community. Bright designed the language with the experience of C++ programmers
> in mind, not the sale of a product. He says, "The idea is to make programming
> in D the most productive possible. Quicker to learn, quicker to write code
> in, quicker to debug, and quicker to maintain." However, Forrester analyst
> Jeff Hammond questions the programming language's market potential. He says,
> "To make a technology viable, the technology has to be more than just good.
> You have to build a business model around it. What's the business model here?"

This write-up was really poorly done, in my opinion.  I don't think it's
an accurate representation of D, in general.

Also, "Phobus" is spelled wrong.  Usually being petty about spelling is
not my way... but if this is somehow an official quotation from the ACM
mailing list, I worry about the reception it will get.

And "it adds Java and Microsoft C# functions such as garbage collection"?
What??  That just sounds wrong: since when do those languages
represent the origination of D's gc? The whole announcement sounds wrong in
much the same way.

-JJR