Implementation of C++0x's "future" syntax

Jari-Matti Mäkelä jmjmak at utu.fi.invalid
Tue Jan 16 04:03:24 PST 2007

Daniel Keep kirjoitti:

> I was poking around the stuff on C++0x (which I was led to because I was
> poking around STL (because I was poking around for a good D container
> library)) when I found out about "future".
>
> For those that don't know, the idea is to make asynchronous function
> calls nice and easy.  The syntax on Wikipedia is this:

There are also some interesting possibilities implemented in Fortress:

http://research.sun.com/projects/plrg/PLDITutorialSlides9Jun2006.pdf

Sun just released it partly under an open source license.

Should the next version of D implement some of the asynchronous /
parallel functionality as a core language feature or as a library
add-on. Well, Bill Baxter already opened a thread about this on
digitalmars.D.