Futurism lib (futures in D)

Mikola Lysenko mclysenk at mtu.edu
Sun Jan 21 20:44:36 PST 2007

Saaa wrote:

> As I read it, futurism takes care of threading and synchronization of data
> (between threads).

Futures are a powerful technique to increase the parallelism of an
application without much extra programming effort.  But as much as I
like futures, it is Pollyannaish to claim that they solve all thread
related problems.  Proper use of futures prevents the future threads
from communicating altogether eliminating concurrency.  This is both
good and bad; on the one hand concurrent programming is always risky
business, yet in most situations involving threads concurrency is
unavoidable.  A classic example is the dining philosophers problem.
Each philosopher must communicate in order to share common resources.