Transitioning to a type aware Garbage Collector

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Tue Jan 23 11:18:26 PST 2007

Paul Findlay wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> To improve GC performance, we need to transition to a GC that is aware
>> of the types of what it is allocating.
> Does this mean the D garbage collector will be an exact (or precise)
> garbage collector?

If a block contains pointers then the entire block will still be scanned
instead of just the pointers in that block, so It will still be a
conservative collector but with fewer false positives.  I think this
could be changed so that just the pointers were scanned, but there would
likely be a noticeable performance hit for doing so.  If false positives
are still a concern (and I'm not convinced they will be), a better
approach may be to pursue a different GC design such as the CBGC
mentioned yesterday.

Sean